Criminal Background Check
All Health Career students who have a clinical component to their educational process will be required to sumbit the necessary information in order for Illinois Central College to conduct a criminal background check. The student will be expected to read and sign the Informed Consent/Release for Criminal Background Investigation form upon admittance to the program.
Once the criminal background check is completed, the information will be kept confidential and only shared with clinical affiliates as requested.
A student may appeal the findings produced by this background check by completing the waiver form. All necessary steps will be taken by Illinois Central College to obtain clinical attendance approval. The outcome of the appeal may affect the ability to complete the chosen Health Career Program as indicated in the Informed Consent/Release for Criminal Background Investigation.
Criminal Background Check for BNATP Students
The Health Care Worker Background Check Act has been amended to require fingerprint background checks. Effective Summer, 2010, all students enrolled in the Basic Nurse Assistant Training Program at Illinois Central College will be required to undergo a Fingerprint Criminal Background Test through the approved vendor. A student enrolled at the College who has been convicted of committing or attempting to commit certain crimes specified by applicable law may be ineligible to continue in a Health Career Program at Illinois Central College. Disqualifying offenses are determined by Health Care Worker Registry Personnel.
llinois Central College (ICC) is committed to providing a safe environment for students; patients cared for by students, and employees. The fingerprint criminal background check will be conducted through the company selected by ICC and is paid for by the student. The student will notified that he/she has
- disqualifying convictions
- disqualifying convictions-but a waiver has been granted
- disqualifying convictions-no waiver granted
If the student has disqualifying conviction-no waiver granted, the student must withdraw from the class. The student can either seek another type of training or seek a waiver and take the class at another time if a waiver is granted.
- Students will sign and date a disclosure and authorization form (at registration) for a Fingerprint Criminal Background Check.
- The date of the testing will be provided to the student at registration.
- Within 2 working days of registration, the Nurse Assistant Program Director will look up each student on the Registry.
- If the students has had a FEE_APP background check, no additional background check is required.
- If the student has a UCIA_NAME or UCIA_FP, a FEE/APP background check must be initiated.
- After the background check has been initiated and saved, the Program Director prints out a Livescan Request Form.
- On-site testing will be conducted by the approved vendor within 10 working days after the Livescan Request Form is printed. The student will be notified of the date for the on-site testing.
- If the student does not attend the on-site testing, it is the responsibility of the student to have fingerprint testing done by the vendor within 10 days of the form being printed.
Dealing with Positive Results
- The Nurse Assistant Program Director will access the electronic report from the selected company.
- Students who have a positive Criminal Background Check will be notified immediately by telephone. No messages regarding the results will be left on answering machines or with another individual.
- The student will be informed if they must drop the class.